Sharp Aquos S2 is the Japanese manufacturer’s fourth attempt at the bezel-less trend. They are also one of the first manufacturers to introduce the bezel-less trend. Although rightfully hyped by latest flagships from Samsung and LG, the Aquos 2 is a newer approach to the bezel-less world.
The front houses a 5.5-inch display with 135% sRGB coverage. The screen is a Full HD+ (1080*2040) LCD panel capable of 550 nits of brightness. And the Free Form Display (FFD) introduces a small hole on top of the phone for the front camera and a traditional receiver.
The phone is powered by either a Snapdragon 630 or a 660 SoCs, which is a mid-range processor. RAM options include 4/6 GB where as storage includes 64/128 GB versions which are expandable via microSD of up to 256GB.
There is a dual camera setup with one 12MP sensor and another 8MP sensor. Both come equipped with 1.4 µm pixels and a f/1.75 aperture lens. The cameras are capable of bokeh effects of up to level 7. The secondary camera also helps in capturing the depths and blurring the backgrounds. The front houses a 1.4 µm pixel 8MP camera with f/2.0 aperture.
The fingerprint sensor is placed below the display. It’s also the world’s narrowest fingerprint identifier sizing at just 3.6mm. There is also a sizable 3030mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0. On the software side, the device runs on Android 7.1 Nougat with Smile UX on top and RoboS assistant.
The phone does look a lot like the essential phone, thanks to the Free Form Display formation. It sports a metal frame and a 3D glass body. The Sharp Aquos S2 is only available in China as of now. It is priced at $370 for the lower spec one and $520 for the higher spec version. It’s highly unlikely the Aquos S2 will ever arrive in the Nepali market.
Highlights of SHARP AQUOS S2:
- 5.5-inch Full HD+ LCD display with 2.5D curved glass and Gorilla Glass protection
- Variant 1: Octa Core Snapdragon 630 / 4GB RAM/ 64GB ROM
- Variant 2: Octa Core Snapdragon 660 SoC / 6GB RAM/ 128GB ROM
- Expandable memory up to 128GB with microSD
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- 12+8MP rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, 1.4um pixel size, dual-tone LED Flash, PDAF
- 8MP front-facing camera, 1.4um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 141.8 x 72.04 x 7.9mm; Weight: 140g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, USB Type-C
- 3020mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0