ASUS is a household name when it comes to computers and laptops. But their smartphones don’t get enough recognition, probably because of their poor software. And maybe, most of them fail to stand out in any way. But that’s all in the past. Because with the ASUS Zenfone 6, it actually teaches the big players how to rock an all-screen display!
ASUS Zenfone 6 Overview
Upon first look, the ASUS Zenfone looks like any other flagship of today – a glass body with a rear-mounted fingerprint screen and a big screen with that edge-to-edge display. There is no selfie camera on the front. You must have guessed it, but the way it achieves it is very interesting. This ain’t your regular pop-up camera…it’s more like a “Flip Camera“. This means, that its rear camera module flips out to double as the selfie camera!
This concept is not new, though. The Samsung Galaxy A80 introduced this, but it was a slider and a rotating mechanism. This, however, looks much cleaner. In addition, the flip camera has got quite a few tricks up its sleeve! First, the camera setup is a 48 MP primary and a 13 MP ultra-wide setup. Getting to use the same for your selfies is great enough, but you can also control the angles of the camera. Meaning, you can use it to take panoramic shots without moving and some weird-angled selfies, if you so fancy. Furthermore, you can also take 4K videos at 60 fps, which not all flagships can give you.
The rest of the phone seems pretty standard. It checks all the boxes for a flagship. There’s Snapdragon 855 processor, with up to 8 GB RAM, and up to 256 GB storage. Plus, there’s expandable memory in the form of a triple-slot, which allows you to store dual SIMs and a microSD card. Also, it packs a mammoth 5000 mAh battery and has 18-Watt Fast Charging. That’s not the fastest, especially, for a battery that size…but it’s good enough. Software-wise, it runs on Zen UI 6. And while Zen UI wasn’t received well, this iteration is one of the closest to Stock Android experiences you’ll get.
And all of this is at the starting price of €499, for the base model…which starts at 6 GB RAM configuration, and 64 GB storage. That’s just a bit higher than the Xiaomi Mi 9 but considerably less than other flagships. For all that it packs, it’s certainly a very interesting combo, to say the least.
ASUS Zenfone 6 Specifications:
- Design: Glass body, aluminum frame, Flip-camera module, rear-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Display: 6.4″ IPS LCD all-screen display with Full HD+ resolution (1080 x 2340 pixels), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Rear Camera: Dual, 48 MP primary with f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, EIS, Auto-panorama + 13 MP Ultra-wide with f/2.4 aperture
- Front Camera: Motorized Flip Rear camera module
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.41 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.78 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 6 GB / 8 GB
- Storage: 64 / 128 / 256 GB, expandable via microSD
- OS: Zenfone UI 6
- Battery: 5000 mAh with 18-Watt Fast Charging (Quick-Charge 4.0)