The rumors had been making rounds for a few months now. There were multiple leaks and teasers, but no-one quite knew what the new Huawei nova series would bring to the market. Well, the rumors have finally been put to rest. Yes, Huawei after all these months of teasing has finally launched its Nova 6 series.
This new range consists of three phones – Nova 6/5G, Nova 6 and the Nova 6 SE. And undoubtedly the star among these three will be the nova 6 5G variant. It has a very capable triple camera array, a punch-hole display and runs on Kirin 990 chipset. Add to that the 5G capabilities and bam you get a great flagship smartphone.
As for the Nova 6, non 5G variant, it will have a smaller battery and as the name suggests it won’t support 5G connectivity. The final entry in the series, the Nova 6 SE is basically a mid-range smartphone.
Huawei Nova 6 and Nova 6 5G overview
Both the variants barring the battery size and 5G capabilities are identical to each other. They have a 6.57-in IPS LCD display panel. The display supports FHD+ resolution and the screen has an oval punch-hole cut into it. The same punch-hole houses the dual selfie cameras. The primary lens is a 32MP shooter whereas the other is an 8MP ultra-wide lens.
On the right side of the device, you get a fingerprint sensor and power button combo button. And on the back, as mentioned above is a triple camera array. It has a 40MP main camera. An 8MP telephoto lens with OIS and an 8MP ultra-wide lens completes the rear camera setup.
The device runs on the flagship-level Kirin 990 chipset. On the 5G variant, you also get an added Balong 500 5G modem. The standard RAM capacity for both the devices is of 8 GB. However, you do get the option to choose between the storage capacity. You can either get a 128GB variant or the 256GB variant.
The battery is the other aspect that differentiates nova 6 5G from the standard nova 6. The 5G variant comes with a 4200mAh battery whereas the standard one has a slightly less 4100mAh battery. However, both of them do come with 40W Huawei SuperCharge support.
Also Read: Huawei Nova 5T Review
HUAWEI Nova 6 and Nova 6 5G Specifications
- Display: 6.57-inch Full HD+ LCD 2.5D curved glass
- Chipset: Kirin 990
- CPU: 2 x Cortex-A76 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 2.09 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.86 GHz
- GPU: ARM Mali-G76MP16
- NPU: Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB / 256GB storage
- OS: Android 10 with EMUI 10.0.1
- SIM: Dual SIM
- Back Camera: 40MP RYYB camera with f/1.8 aperture, 8MP f/2.4 aperture 120° ultra wide-angle lens, 8MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture AF OIS, 3x optical zoom
- Front Camera: 32 front camera with f/2.0 aperture, 8MP secondary camera with f/2.2 aperture, 105° ultra wide-angle lens
- Security: Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Audio: USB Type-C Audio
- Dimensions: 162.6m x 75.7 x 8.56mm
- Weight: 197gms
- Connectivity: 5G SA/NSA (Optional), Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac (2.4GHz/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1+L5 dual frequency), NFC, USB Type-C
- Battery: 4100mAh battery for 4G / 4200mAh for 5G with 40W super Fast charging
Huawei Nova 6 SE
The third offering in the Nova 6 series is the Nova SE. Basically, a mid-range smartphone with a 6.4-inch LCD display panel. It too supports FHD+ resolution and has a punch-hole display. However, the cutout only has a single 16MP selfie shooter. The fingerprint sensor placement is similar to the standard nova 6.
As for the rear, it has a quad-camera setup on the back. The primary sensor is of 48MP. Along with that are an 8MP ultra-wide lens, a 2MP depth sensor, and a 2MP macro lens. The Kirin 810 processor is used on this device. It has the same RAM offering of 8GB, however, there is only one storage option – 128GB available. And as for the battery, this one has a 4200mAh battery that also supports Huawei SuperCharge.
HUAWEI Nova 6 SE Specifications
- Display: 6.4-inch Full HD+ IPS 2.5D curved glass
- Chipset: Kirin 810
- CPU: 2 x 2.27GHz Cortex-A76 + 6 x 1.88GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: ARM Mali-G52 MP6 GPU
- Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with Huawei NM memory card
- OS: Android 10 with EMUI 10.0.1
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- Back Camera: 48MP rear camera with Sony IMX586 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 8MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.4 aperture, 2MP camera for macro and 2MP for depth sensing with f/2.4 aperture
- Front Camera: 16MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Security: Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 159.2 x 76.3 x 8.7mm
- Weight: 183gms
- Connectivity: Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, USB Type-C
- Battery: 4200mAh battery with 40W HUAWEI Super fast charging
HUAWEI Nova 6 5G, Nova 5, Nova SE Pricing and Availability
The devices will be available for sale from 12th December in China. Price for the Nova 6 5G 8/128Gb variant and 8/256GB variant are $540 and $595 respectively. The standard Nova 6 with 8/128GB configuration is priced at $454. And as for the Nova SE, it will cost you $315.