LG has officially unveiled the LG V20 smartphone at an event in San Francisco. The LG V20 is the successor to the last year’s LG V10 with updated specs and features. The new LG V20 is the first smartphone to feature Android 7.0 Nougat and will first be available in South Korea later this month followed by other markets in the coming weeks.
Like the V10, the LG V20 is all about the display and camera. It features a 5.7-inch IPS Quantum display with QHD resolution with a secondary display located right above its primary screen. The secondary display is now slighter bigger with a better brightness level of 513nits and a better resolution of 160 x 1040 pixels. Just like the LG G5, the V20 features a dual camera setup: A 16MP primary camera with F1.8 Aperture OIS (Standard Angle) and 8MP secondary camera with F2.4 Aperture (Wide Angle). The camera is accompanied by LG’s hybrid AF system with laser detection AF, phase detection AF and contrast AF for fast and steady focus. LG has also included Qualcomm’s new Steady Record 2.0 EIS (electronic image stabilization) to reduce shakes and jerks while recording videos. As far as the front-facing camera is concerned, it houses a 5MP camera with f/1.9 aperture and 120-degree wide-angle lens.
For all the audiophiles out there, the LG V20 could be an ideal smartphone since it now features an ES9218 32-bit hi-fi Quad DAC with high-quality speakers and sensitive mics. LG says that the updated audio system on the LG V20 eliminates background noises, ambient noise, distortion, and offers finer controls over the volume levels. With the new inbuilt recording app, the phone is capable of recording louder audio without any distortion — thanks to three mics built into the chassis. It also comes with Bang & Olufsen audio tuning and for a limited time, LG USA is offering customers B&O headphones bundled with the V20.
The LG V20 is the first phone to come with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box, and it’s layered with LGX 5.0+ UI. With the use of the secondary display, there are lots of features baked inside the UI like redesigned notification area and dynamic lock screens. On the hardware front, the phone is powered by the flagship grade Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor with 4GB of RAM. It has 64GB of onboard storage with dedicated microSD card support upto 2TB.
The phone weighs 173gms and measures 7.6mm in thickness. It has a metal chassis that’s made of AL 6013, an aluminum-magnesium-silicon-copper alloy that is primarily used in airplanes. It is also US military MIL-STD-810 Transit Drop complaint, which means that it can survive a drop from the height of 4 feet. The back is removable giving the user access to a 3200mAh battery. LG V20 will be available in 3 color options: Titan, Pink, and Silver colors in South Korea. Pricing and availability of LG V20 in Nepal is unknown since there is no distributor of LG mobiles in Nepal. The phone could be available in grey markets sometime next month.
LG V20 Specifications:
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Processor
- Display: Main 5.7-inch QHD IPS Quantum Display (2560 x 1440 / 513ppi) /Secondary IPS Quantum Display (160 x 1040 / 513ppi)
- Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM / 64GB UFS ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- Camera: Front 5MP with F1.9 Aperture (Wide Angle) / Rear 16MP with F1.8 Aperture OIS (Standard Angle) and 8MP with F2.4 Aperture (Wide Angle)
- Battery: 3200mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Size: 159.7 x 78.1 x 7.6mm
- Network: LTE-A 3 Band CA
- Connectivity: X12 LTE (up to 600 Mbps LTE Category 12 with 3x Carrier Aggregation) / Wi-Fi (802.11 a, b, g, n, ac) / USB Type-C / Bluetooth 4.2 BLE / NFC
- Colors: Titan / Silver / Pink
- Other features: Hi-Fi Video Recording / Steady Record 2.0 / HD Audio Recorder / Studio Mode / High AOP Mic / Second Screen / 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / In Apps / B&O Collaboration / Finger Print Scanner / Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0