The number of high-end smartphone users is on the rise in Nepal. Backtrack few years, we had few options and few brands and more importantly had to depend on 3rd party retailers to buy the desired high-end products and they were priced mighty high than they were supposed to be. But now, we have official distributors of all the major brands (except Google) which provide us with the latest and the best product their brand has to offer.
Among the uncountable number of smartphones available in Nepal, we have made a list of the top five best smartphones in Nepal. Hope this will help you in the time of need. What’s your favorite device of 2018? What device did you buy? Have we missed anything here? Write to us in the comment section.
The OnePlus 6 is one of the most hyped up smartphones of 2018. Although its price in Nepal is quite a bit over the top, what it offers, especially in the performance front, comes second to none.
The OnePlus 6 with its Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset and ample amount of RAM at the helm, the device can handle all the heavy tasks with ease. It is among the handful of smartphones that run on Android v9.0 Pie, and OnePlus has been constantly pushing updates on the 6.
The OnePlus 6 has dual cameras on the back. These cameras are certainly better than its predecessors, and the bigger pixel size certainly helps with night photography. However, cameras still have some software issues that hasn’t really unleased their full potential.
OnePlus 6 Specifications:
- Display: 6.28-inch Full HD+ Optic AMOLED; 19:9 aspect ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- CPU: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- OS: Android Oreo (v8.1) with OxygenOS on the top
- RAM: 6/8 GB
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Storage: 64/128/256 GB
- Rear Camera: 16MP (f/1.7, 1.22µm, EIS, OIS) + 20MP (f/1.7, 1.0µm), PDAF, dual-LED flash
- Front Camera: 16 MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture, EIS, Auto HDR
- Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyro, proximity, compass
- SIM: Dual SIM with 4G
- Battery: 3,300 mAh with Dash Charge
- Price: Rs. 74,900 (6GB + 64 GB); Rs. 82,900 (8GB + 128 GB); Rs. 95,000 (8 GB + 256 GB)
4Apple iPhone X
iPhone X is not just the most expensive smartphone ever made, but also the smartphone to incorporate the most advanced technologies. The device is powered by Apple’s A11 Bionic chipset, which possesses Neural Processing Unit. The chipset includes Hexa-core CPU with two high-performance cores and four power efficiency cores. The chipset also has a top-notch GPU. In terms of display, the smartphone is privileged with 5.8-inch Super AMOLED panel surrounded by minimum bezels. With the Super AMOLED panel incorporated, one can experience high contrast ratio with darker black and brighter whites in the display.
In the iPhone X, in the endeavor to provide the bezel-less design, Apple had to ditch its infamous home button, which was also the house of the fingerprint sensor. So, the Fingerprint recognition or the Touch ID has been obliterated in the iPhone X. And a new layer of security has been added, known as FaceID. The FaceID technology on the device uses a TrueDepth sensor, which maps the users face tracking the depth of 30,000 points in the face. In the launch ceremony, Apple had also assured that the new FaceID is 20 times more secure than the conventional TouchID. In the iPhone X, Apple has also brought a new feature known as Animoji. The Animoji feature also uses the TrueDepth sensor and maps the user’s face. After the mapping, it tracks the movements of the face points of the user and imitates the movements in the form of animal characters.
In the camera section too, Apple is nowhere behind the competition. With the DxOmark of 97, iPhone X proves its caliber to be superior among the rivals. It features 12MP dual cameras on the back. The normal lens with f/1.8 aperture is assisted by a telephoto lens of f/2.4 aperture. On the front side, there is a 7MP, f/2.2 selfie shooter meticulously placed on the notch just above the display.
Specifications of Apple iPhone X:
- Display: 5.8 inches FullHD (1125X2436) Super AMOLED, Scratch-resistant glass
- OS: iOS 11
- Chipset: Apple A11 Bionic
- RAM: 3GB
- Storage: 64/256GB internal storage, No microSD card slot
- Rear Camera: Dual 12MP, f/1.8 & f/2.4, OIS, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, Quad-LED (dual tone) flash
- Front Camera: 7 MP, f/2.2
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, USB 2.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Other Features: No 3.5mm headphone Jack, Animojis, IP67 Certified (Water and Dust resistant)
- Price: Rs. 1,38,000 (64GB) & Rs. 1,59,000 (256GB)
3Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ arrived in the Nepali hands a few months ago. The phone is moreover like the S8 keeping all the good parts like a headphone jack, microSD card slot, IP68 waterproofing and wireless charging. The improvement includes Dolby Atmos speakers, the latest Snapdragon 845 chipset, and the new camera system. The location of the fingerprint is moved beneath the camera for better reachability. The Iris scanning and facial recognition from the Note 8 have been implemented here as well.
The 12MP Camera now has a variable aperture. It is the first of a kind in any smartphone. It can switch between either f/1.5 or f/2.4 depending on the situation. The f/2.4 is the default aperture most of the time which switches to f/1.5 wider opening on low light to let in more light.
The camera also shoots 720p at 960fp like the XZ Premium and XZs.If you are looking at the Plus version of the S9 you get an extra camera for 2X optical zoom. You get the option for 6GB of RAM and 256GB of storage along with a bigger battery.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 is priced at Rs. 87,900 for the base model while the Galaxy S9+ starts at Rs. 99,900. For the price, Samsung Nepal currently has a lot of offers in stores right now like the Breakage Insurance and free mobile data.
Specification of Galaxy S9/S9+:
- Display: 5.8/6.2 inches Super AMOLED WQHD+ (1440 x 2960 pixels) with Gorilla glass 5 (front and back) protection, 18.5:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Exynos 9810
- OS: Android Oreo with Experience 9 UI on the top
- RAM: 4/6 GB
- Storage: 64 internal storage, 128 GB (only for Samsung Galaxy S9+) Expandable up to 256GB (Uses SIM2 slot)
- Rear Camera (Galaxy S9): 12MP, f/1.5 – f/2.4, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS, LED flash
- Rear Camera (Galaxy S9+): Dual: 12 MP (f/1.5-2.4, Dual Pixel PDAF) + 12MP (f/2.4, AF), OIS, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/1.7
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, A-GPS, 3G, 4G LTE, USB Type C 3.1 reversible connector
- Sensors: Iris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Battery: 3000/3500 mAh non-removable battery, with Fast Charging (QC 2.0)
- Features: Intelligent Scan, AR Emojis, IP68 Certified (Water and Dust resistant), Wireless Fast charging
- Price: Rs. 87,900 (4GB/64GB) / Rs. 99,900 (6GB/64GB) / Rs. 104,900 (6G /128GB Galaxy S9+
2Huawei P20 Pro
The Huawei P20 Pro is Huawei’s flagship for Q1 of 2018. It comes in an entirely new design all while featuring an excellent triple rear camera setup. This device has a 6.1-inch display of full HD+ resolution. Like most of the flagships of 2018, this device comes with a glass back that, with the front glass panel, sandwiches a metallic rail.
The new design now has started the notch trend in the P20 Pro as well. Huawei has included an option to hide the notch, but I think it just makes it look bad. Nonetheless, if you can get used to this notch, you will like the display and the overall looks. One of the best features of the Huawei P20 has to be its camera. It has a triple camera setup on the rear side (40 MP + 20 MP + 8 MP) which captures great images, and the DxOMark score of 109 tells the tale.
There is a 4,000 mAh battery on the Huawei P20 Pro which will last you for a more than day. Huawei has one of the fastest charging technology – the Super Charge technology and the P20 Pro is supported by that.
Huawei P20 Pro specifications
- Display: 6.1-inch Full HD+ (1080 x 2240 pixels) AMOLED display
- OS: Android v8.1 Oreo with EMUI 8.1 on top
- Chipset: Hisilicon Kirin 970
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage: 128 GB internal storage
- Rear Camera: 40 MP with f/1.8 aperture + 20 MP with f/1.6 aperture + 8 MP with f/2.4 aperture, Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), up to 5x Hybrid Zoom, PDAF, LED flash
- Front Camera: 24MP, f/2.0 Leica lens
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, USB 2.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- SIM: Dual SIM
- Battery: 4,000 mAh battery with Super Charge Technology
- Price: Rs. 99,900
1Samsung Galaxy Note 9
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is Samsung’s second flagship of 2018, that is our pick as the best flagship smartphone available in Nepal. The device has a tall 6.4-inch of QHD display that is arguably the best display on any smartphone right now.
The Galaxy Note 9 features a new design on the back with an intelligent dual camera setup followed by a fingerprint scanner. These cameras are among the major USPs of this device. Both the cameras measure 12-megapixel and the secondary lens in the setup is a telephoto lens.
Samsung has also focused on the battery of its device this time around as the Galaxy Note 9 has a large 4,000 mAh battery that will last you a full day, and the Adaptive charge technology will charge your device in around 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Specifications:
- Display:6.4-inch QHD+ (1440 x 2960) Infinity display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Processor: Octa-Core Exynos 9810 processor with Mali-G72 MP18 GPU
- RAM: 6 GB RAM with 128 GB storage, expandable memory up to 512 GB with microSD
- OS: Samsung Experience UI based on Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- SIM: Dual SIM (nano + Hybrid slot)
- Back Camera: 12 MP primary camera with variable aperture (f/1.5 + f/2.4) and secondary 12 MP telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture with Optical Image Stabilization and Dual Pixel PDAF
- Front Camera: 8 MP front-facing camera f/1.7 aperture and Auto Focus
- Security: Fingerprint Sensor, Face Unlock and Iris Scanner
- Battery: 4000 mAh Li-Ion battery
- Price: Rs. 109,900