The number of high-end smartphone users is on the rise in Nepal. Backtrack few years, we had few options and few brands and more importantly had to depend on 3rd party retailers to buy the desired high-end products and they were priced mighty high than they were supposed to be. But now, we have official distributors of all the major brands (except Google) which provide us with the latest and the best product their brand has to offer. Among the uncountable number of smartphones available in Nepal, we have made a list of some of the best smartphones in Nepal, which can be bought at the moment. Hope this will help you in the time of need. What’s your favorite device of 2019? What device did you buy? Have we missed anything here? Write to us in the comment section.
The OnePlus 6T falls in the list of smartphones that received a lot of hype in 2018. Although its price in Nepal is quite a bit over the top, what it offers, especially in the performance front, comes second to none.
The OnePlus 6T with its Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset and ample amount of RAM at the helm, can handle all the heavy tasks with ease. It is among the handful of smartphones that run on Android v9.0 Pie, and the OxygenOS on the top with minimum bloatware is definitely one of the standout features of this phone.
The OnePlus 6T has dual cameras on the back. These cameras are certainly better than its predecessors, and the bigger pixel size certainly helps with night photography. However, cameras still have some software issues, which has been promised to get resolved after the software update.
The OnePlus 6T comes with 128GB of base variant, flaunts an under-display fingerprint sensor, and comes with a respectable 3700mAh battery.
OnePlus 6T Specifications:
- Display: 6.41-inch Optic AMOLED
- Resolution: Full HD+; 19:9 aspect ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- CPU: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- OS: Android Pie (v9.0) with OxygenOS on the top
- RAM: 6/8 GB
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Storage: 128/256 GB
- Rear Camera: 16MP (f/1.7, 1.22µm, EIS, OIS) + 20MP (f/1.7, 1.0µm), PDAF, dual-LED flash
- Front Camera: 16 MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture, EIS, Auto HDR
- Fingerprint Sensor: Under-display
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 3,700 mAh with Fast Charge
- Other Features: No-headphone Jack, Splash resistant body, No SD Card slot
- OnePlus 6T Price: Rs. 76,000 (6/128GB); Rs. 80,000 (8/128); Rs. 99,000 (10/256GB) McLaren Edition
iPhone XR is the most affordable iPhone of 2019. Obviously, there are compromises when it is compared with the flagship XS and XS Max. Despite such compromises, XR is still one of the best smartphones in Nepal, which you can buy right now.
Like the mighty iPhone XS and XS Max, the XR comes with the Apple A12 Bionic chipset, which is the first 7nm chipset for mobile devices. And it is also the best when it comes to the benchmarks. To expand it multitasking potential, the phone has been provided with 3GB of RAM. On the storage front, the handset comes in 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB variants.
Another major difference between the XS and XR is in the camera department. The XR does lack a dual camera setup like on the XS. But still, it does all of the major tasks the XS does. In the absence of the secondary camera, iPhone XR does fail to capture images with the lossless zooming but if you are on to the portrait images. You are on the safe hands.
iPhone XR Specifications:
- Display: 6.1 inches IPS LCD with Scratch-resistant glass
- Resolution: 828 x 1792 pixels, 326PPI pixel density
- OS: iOS 12
- PU: Hexa-core (2x Vortex + 4x Tempest) Apple A12 Bionic, 7nm
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- RAM: 3GB
- Storage: 64/128/256GB internal storage, No microSD card slot
- Rear Camera: 12MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF, Quad-LED (dual tone) flash
- Front Camera: 7 MP, f/2.2
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery: 2942mAh non-removable battery; Fast Charging (50% in 30 minutes), Qi Wireless charging
- Other Features: No 3.5mm headphone Jack, IP67 Certified (Water and Dust resistant), Dolby Vision/HDR10 compliant, stereo sound, 4K video recording up to 60fps & 1080P video recording up to 240fps
- Price: Rs. 119,500 (64GB), Rs. 129,500 (128GB) & Rs. 148,800 (256GB)
6Huawei P20 Pro
The Huawei P20 Pro is Huawei’s flagship for Q1 of 2018. It comes in an entirely new design all while featuring an excellent triple rear camera setup. This device has a 6.1-inch display of full HD+ resolution. Like most of the flagships of 2019, this device comes with a glass back that, with the front glass panel, sandwiches a metallic rail.
The new design now has started the notch trend in the P20 Pro as well. Huawei has included an option to hide the notch, but I think it just makes it look bad. Nonetheless, if you can get used to this notch, you will like the display and the overall looks. One of the best features of the Huawei P20 has to be its camera. It has a triple camera setup on the rear side (40 MP + 20 MP + 8 MP) which captures great images, and the DxOMark score of 109 tells the tale.
There is a 4,000 mAh battery on the Huawei P20 Pro which will last you for a more than a day. Huawei has one of the fastest charging technology – the Super Charge technology and the P20 Pro is supported by that.
Huawei P20 Pro specifications:
- Display: 6.1-inch Full HD+ (1080 x 2240 pixels) AMOLED display
- OS: Android v8.1 Oreo with EMUI 8.1 on top
- Chipset: Hisilicon Kirin 970
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP12
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage: 128 GB internal storage
- Rear Camera: 40 MP with f/1.8 aperture + 20 MP with f/1.6 aperture + 8 MP with f/2.4 aperture, Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), up to 5x Hybrid Zoom, PDAF, LED flash
- Front Camera: 24MP, f/2.0 Leica lens
- Sensors: Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4,000 mAh battery with Super Charge Technology
- Other Features: IP 67 Certified (Dust and Water resistant), No headphone jack, No SD card slot
- Price: Rs. 99,900
5Samsung Galaxy S9+
The Samsung Galaxy S9+ arrived in the Nepali hands around a year ago ago. The phone is moreover like the S8 keeping all the good parts like a headphone jack, microSD card slot, IP68 waterproofing, and wireless charging. The improvement includes Dolby Atmos speakers, the latest Snapdragon 845 chipset, and the new camera system. The location of the fingerprint is moved beneath the camera for better reachability. The Iris scanning and facial recognition from Note 8 have been implemented here as well.
The 12 MP camera has a variable aperture. It is the first of a kind in any smartphone. It can switch between either f/1.5 or f/2.4 depending on the situation. The f/2.4 is the default aperture most of the time which switches to f/1.5 wider opening on low light to let in more light.
The camera also shoots 720p at 960fp like the XZ Premium and XZs. The Plus version of the S9 has an extra camera for 2X optical zoom. You get the option for 6 GB of RAM and 64/128 GB of storage along with a 3,500 mAh battery.
The device recently received a price drop. And for what it’s worth, the Galaxy S9 Plus is a good buy.
Samsung Galaxy S9+ Specifications:
- Display: 6.2 inches Super AMOLED WQHD+ (1440 x 2960 pixels) with Gorilla glass 5 (front and back) protection, 18.5:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Exynos 9810
- OS: Android v9.0 Pie with One UI on the top
- RAM: 6 GB
- Storage: 64/128 GB; Expandable up to 512 GB (Uses SIM2 slot)
- Rear Camera (Galaxy S9+): Dual: 12 MP (f/1.5-2.4, Dual Pixel PDAF) + 12MP (f/2.4, AF), OIS, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/1.7
- Sensors: Iris scanner, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Battery: 3500 mAh non-removable battery, with Fast Charging (QC 2.0)
- Other Features: Intelligent Scan, AR Emojis, IP68 Certified (Water and Dust resistant), Wireless Fast charging
- Price: Rs. 87,900 (6/64 GB); Rs.92,900 (128GB)
4Samsung Galaxy Note 9
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is Samsung’s second flagship of 2018. The device has a tall 6.4-inch of QHD display that is one of the best display’s of 2018.
The Galaxy Note 9 features an intelligent dual camera setup followed by a fingerprint scanner. These cameras are among the major USPs of this device. Both the cameras measure 12-megapixel and the secondary lens in the setup is a telephoto lens.
Samsung has also focused on the battery of its device this time around as the Galaxy Note 9 has a large 4,000 mAh battery that will last you a full day, and the Adaptive charge technology will charge your device in around 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The Galaxy S10 series only recently made their way into the Nepali market. The new devices are a little better internal wise. However, if the Galaxy Note 9 still packs in the Note experience with a large display complemented by the Spen.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Specifications:
- Display:6.4-inch QHD+ (1440 x 2960) Infinity display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Processor: Octa-Core Exynos 9810 processor with Mali-G72 MP18 GPU
- RAM: 6 GB RAM with 128 GB storage, expandable memory up to 512 GB with microSD
- OS: Samsung Experience UI based on Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- SIM: Dual SIM (nano + Hybrid slot)
- Back Camera: 12 MP primary camera with variable aperture (f/1.5 or f/2.4) and secondary 12 MP telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture with Optical Image Stabilization and Dual Pixel PDAF
- Front Camera: 8 MP front-facing camera f/1.7 aperture and Auto Focus
- Security: Fingerprint Sensor, Face Unlock and Iris Scanner
- Battery: 4000 mAh Li-Ion battery
- Price: Rs. 109,900
3Apple iPhone XS/XS Max
iPhone Xs and Xs Max are not just the most expensive smartphone ever made, but also the smartphone to incorporate the best advanced technologies. iPhone Xs and Xs Max differ only in terms of display size and resolution. Rest of the specs in the handsets are same. iPhone Xs comes with a small and very portable size of 5.8-inch whereas its bigger counterpart, the Xs Max features a mammoth 6.5-inch display. Both of these handsets incorporate a Super AMOLED panel surrounded by minimum bezels. With the Super AMOLED panel on the board, one can experience high contrast ratio with darker black and brighter whites in the display.
These devices are powered by Apple’s A12 Bionic chipset. These new iPhones are also the first smartphones ever to come up with the chipset with 7nm architecture. The chipset includes Hexa-core CPU with two high-performance cores and four power efficiency cores. The chipset also has a top-notch GPU. There is also 4GB of RAM to accompany the processor on multitasking with various apps and games.
Talking about the camera, both of these phones feature 12MP dual cameras on the back. The normal lens with f/1.8 aperture is assisted by a telephoto lens of f/2.4 aperture. On the front side, there is a 7MP, f/2.2 selfie shooter meticulously placed on the notch just above the display. With these capable cameras on the board, Apple is surely one of the best performers. The phone has DxOmark score of 105, making it just behind the Samsung Galaxy S10+ and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro .
iPhone Xs/Xs Max Specifications:
- Display: 5.8-inches, 1125 x 2436 pixels resolution (iPhone Xs) | 6.5-inches, 1242 x 2688 pixels resolution (iPhone Xs Max)
- Display Type: Super AMOLED
- Display Protection: Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- OS: iOS 12
- Chipset: Apple A12 Bionic
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 64/256/512GB internal storage, No microSD card slot
- Rear Camera: Dual 12MP, f/1.8 & f/2.4, OIS, phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom, Quad-LED (dual tone) flash
- Front Camera: 7 MP, f/2.2
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, USB 2.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Other Features: No 3.5mm headphone Jack, IP68 Certified (Water and Dust resistant)
- iPhone Xs Price: Rs. 1,62,000 (64GB), Rs. 1,86,000 (256GB) & Rs. 2,18,000 (512GB)
- iPhone Xs Max Price: Rs. 1,78,000 (64GB), Rs. 2,02,000 (256GB) & Rs. 2,34,000 (512GB)
2Huawei Mate 20 Pro
When the Huawei launched the P20 Pro, the world went crazy mainly because of its triple camera setup. Some tech icons also remarked the innovation as a gimmick. But when the handset outperformed all the major camera phones, everyone was filled with awe. This time, continuing with the triple camera, Huawei brought a brought a smartphone with highly improved cameras. And that smartphone is none other than the Mate 20 Pro.
The triple camera on the phone comprises of a 40MP primary camera. Accompanying the primary shooter is an ultra-wide angle camera and a telephoto camera. With these on the board, users can take their photo out and capture beautiful images in almost all type of scenarios.
Another major area, where the Mate 20 Pro truly excels is on the performance front. The device enjoys Kirin 980 chipset and an ample 6GB RAM and 128GB of storage. Mate 20 Pro is also the first Android smartphone to flaunt a 7nm chipset. The chipset comes with eight cores featuring a tri-cluster architecture. On the top, there is dual NPU (Neural Processing Unit) for better AI Processings.
Another best part of the phone is its massive battery. The MAte 20 Pro comes with a 4200mAh, which comes with Huawei’s SuperCharge technology (40W) for speeding up the charging process. There is also the wireless feature charging. But the best part is reversible wireless charging. This phone can charge another phone wirelessly. But the other phone, which you wish to charge should also support wireless charging.
Huawei Mate 20 Pro Specifications:
- Display: 6.39-inch AMOLED display, Gorilla Glass protection
- Resolution: Quad-HD+ (1440× 3120 pixels), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 538 PPI
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.0 on the top
- Chipset: Huawei’s HiSilicon Kirin 980
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.6 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×1.92 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali G76 MP10
- RAM: 6GB
- Storage: 128GB; Nano memory (NM) card slot for memory expansion (Uses SIM2 slot)
- Rear Camera: Triple camera – (40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF/Laser AF) + (20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.7″, PDAF/Laser AF 8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF), Leica Optics, Dual-LED flash
- Front Camera: 24 MP, f/2.0
- Sensors: Face ID, Fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass
- Other Features: No 3.5mm headphone jack
- Battery: 4200mAh with Supercharge technology (40W fast charging), Supports Wireless Fast charging (15watts) and reverse wireless charging
- Price: Rs. 1,29,900
1Samsung Galaxy S10/S10+
The Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+ are the best flagship smartphone available in Nepal right now. It has the best display in the business with a punch hole cutout. This device has an under-display fingerprint scanner which uses sound waves to unlock the phone.
The Samsung Galaxy S10 has the best internals with Exynos 9820 chipset coupled with 8 GB of RAM. It runs on Android v9.0 Pie out of the box with One UI on top. There are triple cameras on the back of the phone with one of the dual camera working as a wide-angle lens and the other as a telephoto lens. In front of the phone, S10 has a single camera whereas the S10 Plus has dual cameras. The second lens applies depth in photos to create portrait images.
Even with the slim body, there is a large 4,100 mAh battery inside S10 Plus and 3400mAh on the S10, which is supported by a 15W fast charger. Samsung has also included the Power Sharing feature which lets users charge other wirelessly enabled devices through the phone.
Samsung Galaxy S10/ S10+ Specifications
- Display: 6.1-inch (on the S10); 6.4-inch (on the S10+) Dynamic AMOLED Quad HD+ Infinity-O display, HDR10+
- Chipset: Exynos 9820
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP12
- RAM: 8 GB
- Storage: 128 GB / 512 GB
- Rear Camera: 12MP, f/1.5 – 2.4, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS (Primary) + 12 MP, f/2.4 1.0µm, Auto-focus, OIS, 2x optical zoom (Telephoto) + 16 MP f/2.2 (Ultra-wide)
- Front Camera: 10 MP, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF + 8 MP, f/2.2 (Depth sensor)
- Operating System: Android v9.0 Pie with One UI on top
- Color Options: Prism Black, Prism Green (128 GB variant), Prism Black (512 GB variant)
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under-display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, heart rate, barometer
- Battery: 3,400mAh (on the S10) 4,100 mAh (on the S10+), 15W wired fast charging