The Exynos 7904 is a new mid-range SoC designed by Samsung for the Indian market, bringing high-end features to an affordable price point. This chipset should help Samsung’s mid-range devices compete better with aggressive pricing from Chinese manufacturers.
It’s an Octa-Core processor based on a 14nm architecture. There are two Cortex A73s clocked at 1.8GHz and six Cortex A53s clocked at 1.6Ghz. With Mali G71 MP2 GPU, it comes with support for LPDDR4x memory and eMMC 5.1 storage.
Moreover, Samsung has highly focused in the multimedia department this time. It has support for up to triple cameras or a single 32MP camera. Video recording caps out at 4k 30fps while the display support itself maxes out at FHD+ (2400x1080px).
As for connectivity, the embedded LTE modem can theoretically do 600Mbps down (Cat. 12 3CA) and 150Mbps up (Cat.13 2CA). Besides that, it supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 along with 4-mode GNSS.
Samsung claims the new SoC will deliver high-end multimedia and imaging performance, network connectivity and effortless multitasking experience. Similarly, the implementation of Cortex A73 should boost its single core performance by a significant margin.
“The Exynos 7 Series 7904 will enable advanced mobile experiences in a broader range of devices with triple-camera support, powerful performance and connectivity,”
– Rajeev Sethi, Senior Director and Head of Sales and Marketing, Device Solutions, Samsung India.
The Exynos 7904 has already hit mass production and we should start seeing Samsung devices featuring this SoC soon. We are expecting the upcoming Galaxy M30 to feature this chipset first.
Exynos 7904 Specifications
- CPU: 1.8GHz Dual-core (Cortex®-A73) + 1.6Ghz Hexa-core (Cortex®-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP2
- Process: 14nm FinFET
- Display: Up to Full HD+ (2400×1080)
- LTE Modem: LTE Cat. 12 3CA 600Mbps (DL) / Cat.13 2CA 150Mbps (UL)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth® 5.0, FM Radio
- GNSS: GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo
- Storage: eMMC 5.1
- Memory: LPDDR4x
- Camera: Rear 32MP, Front 32MP, Dual Camera 16MP+16MP
- Video: Up to 4K 30fps encoding and decoding with HEVC(H.265), H.264 and VP8, and decoding with VP9