The Huawei Honor 8A, a phone previously set to launch on January 8 in CES, is now official as the Honor Play 8A. This phone is basically an Honor 8A but with the “Play” moniker in its name and a different launch date. It’s expected to start shipping from January 8, while we are now uncertain of the Honor 8A’s existence.
Speculated to be named after the Xiaomi Mi Play, it shares a lot of similarities with its rivals. Sadly it makes no resemblance to last year’s Honor Play. This is an entry-level smartphone from Honor and it does not even offer a fingerprint sensor. The exclusion might not sound so bad given its price point.
Nevertheless, Honor offers face unlock thanks to the 8MP f/2.0 camera tucked into a small notch at the top. Below the notch, you get a 6.09-inch 720×1560 pixel IPS display. Internally, the Honor Play 8A rocks the new MediaTek Helio P35 MT6765 chipset. It’s a 12nm based SoC with eight Cortex A53 cores, clocked at 2.3GHz and the PowerVR GE8320 GPU.
Also Read: Honor Mobiles Price in Nepal
Likewise, it comes with 3GB of RAM and a choice of either 32GB or 64GB of expandable internal storage. Camera setup includes a single 13MP f/1.8 main sensor at the back. On the software side, the phone runs on EMUI 9.0 on top of Android 9 Pie. Powering the device is a 3020mAh battery with support for up to 10W charging.
Dimensions of the device include 156.28 x 73.5 x 8.0mm and a weight of 150 grams. Despite being an entry level device, it does get a USB-C port. Connectivity includes Bluetooth, ac Wi-Fi, and GPS among others. It’s available in Blue, Black, Gold and Red colors. Finally, pricing starts at around $129 in China.
Honor Play 8A Specifications:
- Display: 6.09-inch (720×1560 pixels) HD+ panel
- Chipset: MediaTek Helios P35 SoC
- CPU: Octa Core, 12nm process, clocked at 2.3GHz, Cortex A53
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- RAM: 3GB
- ROM: 32GB or 64GB, expandable via MicroSD
- Software: Android Pie 9 with EMUI 9.0 on top
- Back Camera: 13MP f/1.8, PDAF
- Front Camera: 8MP f/2.0, fixed focus
- Security: Face unlock, Pattern, Passcode
- Dimensions: 156.28 x 73.5 x 8.0mm; Weight: 150g
- Connectivity: USB Type C, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi ac, GPS
- Battery: 3020mAh battery, 10W charging