After Google revoked Huawei’s license to use the Android platform, it has been a difficult year for the Chinese tech giant. Since then, the market share of Huawei smartphones has dipped outside of China. In Nepal too, Huawei mobile division is pretty much non-existent. They have launched budget Y-series of phones with HMS (Huawei Mobile Services), but that has seen limited success. And now, Huawei has silently launched its latest flagship P40 Pro in the Nepali market. So let’s take a look at what the Huawei P40 Pro is packing alongside its specs, features, official price in Nepal & availability.
Huawei P40 Pro Overview
|Like all the recent Huawei/Honor devices, this one lacks Google services too. But, the launch of this phone doesn’t have any sales or profit-making motive. Rather, they want to showcase Huawei’s latest innovation to Nepalese customers.|
Here, the Huawei P40 Pro is similar to its predecessor the P30 Pro. However, it comes with the new “Quad-curve Overflow Display” and has a glass back. Therefore, the device is slippery, just like the regular Huawei P40. On the other hand, the more premium: P40 Pro+ comes with a ceramic back but that’s not available in the Nepalese market. Getting back to the P40 Pro, it is IP68 rated against dust and water, as expected from a flagship phone.
Compared to the standard Huawei P40, the P40 Pro has a much bigger screen. It features a 6.58-inch OLED display with a resolution of 2640 x 1200 pixels. Unlike the P40, it has a smoother 90Hz refresh rate panel, which also supports the HDR10 format. To note, both P40 Pro & Pro+ share the same display. This is great but falls some way short of its competing flagships that have 120Hz display, namely the Samsung Galaxy S20 series.
Huawei is marketing the phones under the P40 series with the tagline “Visionary Photography”, and rightly so. The camera setup on all these phones is simply outstanding. In terms of the P40 Pro, it comes with a 50MP primary lens, a 40MP ultra-wide lens, a 12MP periscope telephoto lens (supports super-zoom), and a ToF sensor. The super-zoom support refers to 5x optical zoom, while it also supports 10x hybrid zoom and 50x max zoom.
As for the front camera, this phone has a 32MP f/2.2 sensor placed inside a rather wide pill-shaped cutout. Unlike the standard P40, the Huawei P40 Pro (and P40 Pro+) have ToF sensors too. Nepal, get ready for the master mobile photography! The IR ToF sensor also facilitates a secure face-unlock, on top of creating bokeh effects for your selfies.
Getting to the performance, all devices under the P40 family use Huawei’s own Kirin 990 5G chipset that has an integrated 5G modem. This is the same chipset powering last year’s Mate 30 series as well. Based on the 7nm+ process, Kirin 990 5G has an octa-core CPU with a heavy/medium/little core architecture. This has been paired with 8GB of RAM and up to 512GB of UFS 3.0 storage. You can also add up to 256GB to the onboard storage via Huawei’s own NM (Nano Memory) cards instead of an SD card.
Battery & Others
Huawei P40 Pro gets its juice from a decent 4200mAh battery. It supports 40W (wired) Huawei SuperCharge. Likewise, it also supports 27W fast wireless charging. I’ve already talked about the infrared face recognition but on top of that, P40 Pro’s OLED display is also the house to an in-display fingerprint scanner.
The phone ships with EMUI 10.1 (based on Android 10) out-of-the-box and runs on Huawei’s proprietary HMS instead of Google’s GMS and its suite of applications. Therefore, instead of the Google Play Store, it has Huawei’s AppGallery, and so on. Similarly, P40 Pro is soon scheduled to receive the EMUI 11 update as well.
Huawei P40 Pro Specifications:
- Body: 6.23H x 2.86W x 0.35D-inches, 209gm, IP68, Glass Back, Aluminum Frame
- Display: 6.58-inches OLED panel, Corning Gorilla Glass, 90Hz refresh rate, 91.6% screen-to-body ratio, HDR10, 441 PPI
- Resolution: 2640 x 1200 pixels, 22:10 aspect ratio
- Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G (7nm+ mobile platform)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.86 GHz Cortex-A76 & 2×2.36 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×1.95 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 128/256/512GB UFS 3.0 storage (upgradeable using NM card)
- Software & UI: AOSP + EMUI 10.1 (based on Android 10)
- Rear Camera: Triple-camera (Leica Optics);
– 50MP, f/1.9 “Ultra Vision Camera” wide primary lens, PDAF, OIS
– 40MP, f/1.8 “Cine Camera” ultra-wide lens
– 12MP, f/3.4 “SuperSensing Telephoto Camera”, OIS, 5x optical zoom
– ToF 3D depth sensor
– LED flash
- Front Camera: 32MP, f/2.2 selfie lens (with IR ToF 3D sensor)
- Security: In-display fingerprint scanner (optical)
- Audio: Loudspeaker, No headphone jack
- Connectivity: Hybrid dual-SIM (Nano), WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS / A-GPS / Glonass / BeiDou / Galileo / QZSS / NavIC, NFC, USB Type-C, 5G
- Sensors: Gesture, Gravity, Infrared, Fingerprint, Hall, Gyro, Compass, Ambient Light, Proximity, Color Temperature
- Battery: 4200mAh, 40W Huawei SuperCharge, 27W Wireless Huawei SuperCharge
- Colors: Deep Sea Blue, Silver Frost, Black, Ice White, Blush Gold
Huawei P40 Pro Price in Nepal and Availability
Huawei P40 Pro went live globally in April 2020 and is now available here in Nepal. The price of Huawei P40 Pro in Nepal is NPR 129,900 for the 8/256GB variant. You may not find the phone in digital/retail stores, but you can buy P40 Pro in Nepal by contacting the Call Mobility (Huawei authorized distributor of Nepal) representative at 01-424-886.
|Smartphone Model||Price in Nepal (Official)|
|Huawei P40 Pro (8/256GB)||NPR 129,990|
- Watch: Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) explained.