Every six months, Redmi refreshes its lineup of smartphones. Currently, there are four models on its arsenal. There’s a regular Redmi model, the Redmi Note model, the Redmi Note Pro model, and the Redmi A model. Redmi has already launched the Redmi Note 8, Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi 8A, and today the company has unveiled the Redmi 8, which is a slightly less expensive version of the Redmi Note 8.
The Redmi 8 offers some good upgrades over its predecessor the Redmi 7. It now offers a bigger 5000mAh battery as opposed to 4000mAh battery of the Redmi 7. The screen size of 6.26-inches remains the same and there’s the same HD resolution at disposal. The design looks more refined and refreshing as compared to Redmi 7.
Camera-wise, there’s a dual rear camera on the back, the primary camera being the Sony IMX 363 with 12MP f/1.8 lens. The second lens is a 2MP depth sensor for portraits. In terms of selfies, you get an 8MP sensor residing on the notch. The Sony IMX 363 is the same sensor used on the Pixel 3, but don’t expect any Pixel like performance on the Redmi 8 as Google’s software processing, its dedicated Visual Core chip, and the ISP/DSP of the Snapdragon 845 makes Pixel camera outstanding.
As for the performance, the Redmi 8 is actually inferior when compared to the Redmi 7. The Redmi 7 featured a much powerful Snapdragon 632 chipset, and the Redmi 8 sports a Snapdragon 439. It is very strange to see Xiaomi take this move, as the company is usually known for providing “best performance for the price”.
Memory wise, it’s available in 2 variants: One with 3GB RAM and 32GB storage and the other with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage. There’s a dedicated microSD card slot for memory expansion.
Also Read: Xiaomi mobiles price in Nepal [Latest]
Redmi 8 Full Specifications
- Display: 6.22-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Chipset: Snapdragon 439
- CPU: Octa-Core (4 X 1.95GHz Cortex A53 + 4X 1.45GHz Cortex A53)
- GPU: Adreno 505 GPU
- RAM: 3GB RAM with 32GB storage / 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD (dedicated)
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- SIM: Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- Rear Camera: 12MP rear camera with LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 1.4μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, 6P lens, Dual PD autofocus, secondary 2MP depth camera
- Front Camera: 8MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size
- Security: Fingerprint sensor, Face unlock
- Dimensions: 156.48×75.41×9.4mm; Weight: 188g
- Connectivity: Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C, 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- 5000mAh (typical) battery with 18W fast charging (10W charger inside the box)
- Colors: Sapphire Blue, Ruby Red, Onxy Black
Redmi 8 Price and Availability
Redmi 8 is available in India as of now, and will soon launch in Nepal too. The 3+32GB version of the Redmi 8 is priced at INR. 7999 (NRP. 12800) and 6+64GB is priced at Rs. 8,999 (NRP.14,400).