To kill the trend of the display with the notches and to increase the screen to body ratio, we saw lots of attempts this year. It really started with the Vivo Nex smartphone with the pop-up camera. The attempt from Vivo garnered loads from the tech community. But Vivo didn’t stop there. This time, the smartphone maker came up with a secondary display as an attempt to obliterate any sort of bezels or notches on the main display. Earlier rumors suggested the name of the phone to be Vivo Nex 2. However, the company presented the smartphone entitling it as the Vivo Nex Dual display edition.
Vivo Nex Dual Display Edition Overview
To avoid the notch, we saw different antics from the different manufacturers. In that case, Vivo’s pop up camera on the Nex and motorized camera system on the Oppo’s Find X were cool but seemed vulnerable on the long run. So this time, Vivo embraced the concept of the dual display, which we saw recently on the ZTE Nubia X. But unlike the Nubia X, Vivo Nex Dual Display Edition has adopted Super AMOLED screen on both the front and on the rear panels.
Vivo has equipped a 6.4-inch display panel on the front, which Vivo claims to feature a whopping 91.63% screen to body ratio. The front display comes in a tall and narrow form factor with19.5:9 aspect ratio featuring a Full-HD+ resolution. And on the back, there is a 5.5-inch display, which comes in a traditional 16:9 aspect ratio. The rear panel also comes with Full-HD resolution. So contents on both the screens is definitely going to look all sharp and vibrant.
Adopting the second display, Vivo has completely given up on the front camera. However, there are three cameras at the back, which can be used to capture the selfies making use of the secondary display. The three cameras on the phone comprise of the 12MP primary camera backed by a 2MP depth sensor. There is also a third f/1.3 lens paired with a time of flight (TOF) 3D module. According to Vivo, the third or the 3D TOF camera would help in point-to-point distance measurement, which comes handy on securely unlocking the rear display. Vivo also claimed that the 3D TOF camera would help in the “personalized beautification”.
The phone also has a “lunar ring” on the rear panel, which not just looks decorative but also is functional. The ring glows with fancy colors to alert about the notifications. Its soft glow can also be used to create diffused lighting for low light shots. That’s not all, the lunar ring can also be set to pulse along with your music.
So the phone uses the rear camera to unlock the rear display. But how to unlock the front display, you might ask. The phone is equipped with an under display fingerprint sensor to unlock the front display. And unlike the OnePlus 6T, which uses the under display fingerprint sensor as an excuse to obliterate the 3.5mm headphone jack, the 3.5mm jack is intact in the case of Vivo Nex Dual Display Edition.
On the performance front, the phone flaunts the Snapdragon 855 chipset, the flagship chipset of 2018. And aiding for the fluid performance, the phone packs a whopping 10GB of RAM. In terms of internal storage, there is non-expandable 128GB of onboard memory.
Vivo Nex Dual Display Edition Price & Availability
The Nex Dual Display Edition will go sale on China from December 29. However, Vivo has not yet announced the availability of the phone outside of China. And talking about the price, the handset costs 4,998 Yuan in China, which translates to about $725 or Rs. 84,000 in Nepal.
Vivo Nex Dual Display Edition Specifications
- Dimensions: 157.2 x 75.3 x 8.1 mm; Weight:199 grams
- Display: 6.39 inches Super AMOLED (primary) + 5.49 inches Super AMOLED (Secondary)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels with 19.5:9 aspect ratio (primary) + 1080 × 1920 pixels with 16:9 aspect ratio (secondary)
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- CPU: 4 ×Kryo 385 Gold @ 2.7 GHz + 4 × Kryo 385 Silver @ 1.7 GHz
- GPU: Adreno 630
- RAM: 10GB
- Storage: 128GB, No SD card slot for memory expansion
- OS & UI: Android 9.0 (Pie) with FunTouch OS 4.5 on the top
- Rear Camera: Triple Camera – (12 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS,dual pixel PDAF) + (2 MP, f/1.8, depth sensor) + (TOF camera,f/1.3), LED flash
- Front Camera: No Front camera
- Connectivity: Dual SIM (Nano SIM), Dual 4G, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.0, 3.5mm headphone jack,USB Type-C
- Battery: 3,500mAh, supports Fast charging (10V/2.25A or 22.5W)
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Price: CNY 4, 998 ($725 or Rs. 84,000)