Although Huawei is making headlines with its flagship devices, its budget smartphones’ lineup is not really that exciting, to be honest. But that may change as the company has released two new budget-oriented devices in Nepal. The newbies to arrive this time are Huawei Y5 2019 and Y7 Pro 2019. But how well has the Chinese smartphone giant has strengthened their lineup? Let’s find out.
Huawei Y5 2019
The Y5 2019 is a budget-oriented offering from the company. Nonetheless, this budget phone is wrapped with premium-looking faux leather material on the back. Apart from looking fancy, the faux leather back also happens to be anti-dirty, anti-fingerprint, and wear-resistant.
Talking about the display, the phone has included a 5.71-inch IPS panel. Huawei has also incorporated a tiny notch atop the display. The resolution here is HD+ and it is to be expected from a budget phone. The Y5 2019 also comes with the TUV Rheinland certification on its display. This certification ensures that the display on this handset keeps harmful blue light under control.
On to the imaging department, the phone encompasses a 13MP shooter on the rear panel and a 5MP selfie shooter on the front. The front shooter on this device also doubles as a biometric means to unlock the phone. The selfie snapper comes into action while unlocking the phone via Face Unlock feature. And it is said to recognize 1024 facial features. Huawei also claims it to be reliable. With the absence of the fingerprint scanner, this is the only biometric means to unlock the device. So it might come in quite handy.
The performance part is handled by MediaTek Helio A22 chipset. The phone also comes with 2GB RAM and 16GB of onboard memory to complement the processor. It’s the generosity of Huawei that the company has also included a dedicated SD Card slot for the memory expansion. Y5 2019 packs a 3020mAh battery to keep the device running.
Although the Y5 2019 has strengthened Huawei’s budget lineup, there are still better contenders at a similar price. The Samsung Galaxy A10 (Rs. 14, 190) and Xiaomi Redmi 7 (Rs. 14,999) are better performers than the Y5 2019 in almost every aspect. Just at a price difference of Rs. 300, you can find some amazing devices like the Samsung Galaxy M10 (Rs. 13,790). So I am not hopeful that this device could make a mark in the budget segment.
- Display: 5.71-inch IPS LCD display
- Resolution: HD+ (1520×720 pixels), 19:9 aspect ratio @ 295 PPI
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio A22
- CPU: Quad-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage: 16GB; Expandable up to 1TB (Dedicated slot)
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9 on the top
- Rear Camera: 13MP, f/1.8, PDAF, LED flash
- Front Camera: 5MP, f/2.2
- Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity
- Battery: 3020mAh non-removable battery
- Colors: Midnight Black, Modern Black, Sapphire Blue, Amber Brown
- Price: Rs. 13,490 [Price Last Updated On: July 25, 2019]
Huawei Y7 Pro 2019 Overview:
This is not an absolutely new device from the company. Huawei had already released the Y7 Pro 2019 in Nepal back in Nepal. But this time, the new Y7 Pro 2019 comes with a bumped up storage and a fingerprint scanner.
When Huawei launched the Y7 Pro, there were already a handful of amazing phones. And in an already fierce competition, the phone received quite a backlash mainly due to the absence of the fingerprint scanner. But amending those mistakes, Huawei brought a brand new device including a fingerprint sensor on the back.
Apart from the fingerprint, this new device also comes with 64GB storage, which is a significant upgrade over the previous model, which had 32GB of onboard memory. Rest of the features remains the same here. It gets a 6.26-inch HD display with a tiny notch on the top. Snapdragon 450 chipset takes care of the performance here, which comes alongside the 3GB RAM.
The rear camera on this device is a combination of 13MP and 2MP sensors. With the dual camera on the board, you can expect some portrait images from here. Flipping to the front, we can see a 16MP selfie snapper dwelling on the notch.
The battery is the major highlight on this device. It comes with a humongous 4000mAh battery. Given the low-res display and power-efficient SD450 chipset, we can expect a dependable endurance.
With the inclusion of a fingerprint scanner and more storage, the smartphones look somewhat lucrative. It is quite a significant upgrade you can get at a price difference of Rs. 2000. But still, there are already some compelling phones in the market and the Y7 Pro 2019 still struggles to surpass them. Samsung Galaxy A20 is one of such options here. Alongside the Galaxy A20, the Redmi Y3 and Redmi Note 7 are even more challenging for the handset to beat.
- Display: 6.26-inch IPS LCD display
- Resolution: HD+ (1520×720 pixels), 19:9 aspect ratio @ 269 PPI
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 450
- CPU: Octa-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A53
- GPU: Adreno 506
- RAM: 3GB
- Storage: 32/64GB; Expandable up to 1TB
- OS: Android 8.1 (Oreo) with EMUI 8.2 on the top
- Rear Camera: (13MP, f/1.8, PDAF) + (2MP, depth sensor), LED flash
- Front Camera: 16MP
- Sensors: Fingerprint (on 64GB variant), Accelerometer, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4000mAh non-removable battery
- Colors: Black, Aurora
- Price: Rs. 18,490 (3/32GB variant) [Price Last Updated On: July 25, 2019]
- Price: Rs. 20,490 (3/64GB variant) [Price Last Updated On: July 25, 2019]