Windows has finally launched the Windows 10, however, some of you might be in reservation list and will only get update starting Wednesday. However, there is an easy way to get the update right now. A Reddit forum post via VentureBeat shows the six-step process for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update (Windows 8 users need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update to be eligible for the upgrade) users which will force the download of the upgrade and you won’t require any adroit skills. Follow these steps:
- You must be running a genuine copy of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
- You must have all the previous updates installed from Windows Update.
- You must have reserved your free copy of Windows 10. If you haven’t done this already, you can follow the instructions here on how to reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade.
- Navigate to “C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload” folder (You may have to substitute C drive letter with the drive Windows is installed on) and delete all the files.
- Press the Windows key to open Search and type “Windows Update”, which would open Windows Update. Users can also navigate to the particular setting from the system’s Control Panel.
- Again, press the Windows key to open Search bar and type “cmd”. This will give a drop down of Command Prompt along with other related options. Do not select the Command Prompt option, but instead select Run as Administrator by right clicking on the option.
- Once the Administrator: Command Prompt box is opened, type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” but do not press enter.
- Go back to previously opened Windows Update menu, and click on Check for updates option placed at the right side of the screen. Once clicked, Windows Update should show “Checking for updates…”
- Meanwhile, go back to the Command Prompt box and then press enter on the command typed before. You would then see Windows Update say it is downloading Windows 10.
The update size is around 6GB and make sure you have enough storage in C drive. Also, make sure that you have all the backups of your important files before upgrading.