OnePlus’s strategy, this time around, focused mostly on the OnePlus 7 Pro. The phone launched first, before the actual OnePlus 7, and made a name for itself. But it’s pricing had people talking about whether it was still a flagship killer… And frankly, I thought it was not one now, either. However, maybe the OnePlus 7 is the true flagship killer?
Instead of OnePlus 7 Pro looking like the buffed up variant of the OnePlus 7, it actually looks like OnePlus 7 is the toned down variant of the Pro. Because, while most of the internals remains the same, a lot of the features fall short. This makes it look like an upgraded version of the Oneplus 6T actually.
Starting off with the aesthetics, the OnePlus 7 is smaller, at 6.41″ display, with Full HD+ resolution compared to QHD of the Pro. Also, it doesn’t get the 90 Hz Fluid display of the Pro but the regular 60 Hz. However, it still features the Gorilla Glass 6 protection.
Another compromise is is the camera…a major one! While flagships these days have a triple camera, the OnePlus 7 doesn’t. On top, its dual camera setup comprises of a primary lens and a depth sensor, which, you find on almost all kinds of smartphones these days. So, I’m not sure you can even call this a flagship phone now. In addition, it doesn’t have the fancy pop-up cameras, either. And it’s notch houses the 16 MP selfie camera, which is the same on the pop-up module, as well.
However, it doesn’t compromise on power. It rocks the Snapdragon 855 processor with two RAM variants – a 6 GB and an 8 GB model. However, you only get the 8 GB model in Nepal. Also, it features the in-display fingerprint sensor on it.
In terms of battery, it again has a smaller 3700 mAh battery, and the smaller 20-Watt Fast Charging. OnePlus still calls it Warp Charging, but it’s not as fast as the one on OnePlus 7 Pro.
So, the OnePlus 7 is a mixed bag of emotions. I’m not sure if we can call it a flagship even, and while it is a value for money device, it’s just not all the way up there.
OnePlus 7 Specifications:
- Design: Glass body, Aluminum frame
- Display: 6.41-inch Optic AMOLED panel with Full-HD+ resolution (1080 x 2340 pixels), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 6, water-drop notch
- Rear Camera: Dual, 48 MP (f/1.7, PDAF, OIS), NightScape 2.0 + 5 MP depth sensor
- Front Camera: 16 MP with f/2.0, Auto-HDR
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 8 GB
- Storage: 256 GB
- OS: Android Pie (v9.0) with OxygenOS 9.5 on top
- Sensors: In-display Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyro, proximity, compass
- Color Variant(s): Mirror Gray, Red
- Battery: 3700 mAh with 20-Watt Warp Charge
OnePlus 7 Price and Availability
The OnePlus 7 is available for pre-booking for the price of Rs.67,000. That is clearly, over Rs.20000 cheaper than the OnePlus 7 Pro’s base variant. And this does make it the real value for money device.
In addition, if you buy it from Oliz Store, the first 100 customers can get an Anker 5000 mAh PowerBank for free! So, hurry up…