Google released Android 7.0 Nougat few of months back. It packs tons of features making the Android experience amazing (as if it wasn’t already!). Only a few devices have received the nougat update, though, which is a bummer since Nougat has so much to offer.
Read More: Top Android 7.0 Nougat features
One of the major features of Android Nougat has to be the split-screen support. Samsung’s and LG’s flagship device users have known this feature for quite some time, though. Browsing through Facebook while watching a YouTube video or reading an article on Gadgetbyte Nepal while going through your Instagram feed does sound fun.
I know we can install Custom ROMs and get this feature, but not everyone likes Custom ROMs (me included). So today, I will be explaining an easy way to get the Multi-window mode in your Marshmallow running devices. For this mode to work, you will have to root your Android phone.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WON’T BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR DEVICE GETS BRICKED WHEN YOU ROOT IT.
Here are some requirements to enable multi-window mode on Android:
- rooted device running on Android 6.0.x Marshmallow
- BuildProp Editor app from Google play store
Now, follow these instructions carefully and you’ll be good to go.
- Open the newly installed BuildProp Editor app and grant it root access. The root access pop-up appeared on my device after a little while so have some patience. (Note that you will HAVE to give the app root access.)
- Tap the search icon on top and search ‘ro.build.type’.
- Select the ro.build.type command.
- Change the value from user to userdebug
- Tap save.
- Now reboot your device.
- After the device restarts, go to Settings > About phone and tap on the Build Number seven times.
- Go back to settings and open Developer Options.
- Under “Drawing” category turn on the Multi-window mode.
- BOOM! Split screen mode unlocked!
Now you can select the multi-window mode from your recent app menu, as easy as that.
I have had no issues using this function and apps’ performance has been stable. It works fluently and is really useful. Unfortunately, you can’t re-size the windows, but hey you got dual window mode!
Are there any hidden Android functions you know? Let us know in the comments. And stay tuned to Gadgetbyte Nepal as we will be posting more on rooted Android devices.