Raspberry Foundation, the organization behind the highly popular Raspberry Pi, has announced a new single-board computer-the Raspberry Pi 5, as a successor to Raspberry Pi 4, launched in 2019. In this article, we will be discussing the Raspberry Pi 5; its features, availability, and expected price in Nepal.
Raspberry Pi 5 Overview
Raspberry Pi is the first Raspberry Pi product to have an in-house silicon that supports PCIe 2.0.
The Raspberry Pi 5 has an upgraded 64-bit quad-core Arm Cortex-A76 processor, running at 2.4GHz. This new processor is an improvement over the quad-core Cortex-A72 processor found in the Pi 4, providing over twice (or more) the performance.
The GPU, VideoCore VII GPU, has also received a boost, now running at a clock speed of 800MHz. In terms of memory, the device offers two options: 4GB and 8GB of LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM. However, it’s important to note that there are reports of the Raspberry Pi 5 running hot.
- You might want to read these:
Connectivity and Ports
The Pi 5 introduces “Southbridge,” an in-house silicon, to enhance its I/O peripheral capabilities. As such, connectivity options include Bluetooth 5.0 and dual-band 802.11ac aka WiFi 5. For wired networking, it provides Gigabit Ethernet with PoE+ (requires separate POE+ HAT) support.
In terms of USB ports, there are 2x USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. It also supports camera and display connectivity with 2x 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers.
Raspberry Pi 5 Specification
- SoC: Broadcom BCM2712
- Processor: Quad-core Arm Cortex-A76 processor, 2.4 GHz, crypto extensions, 512KB per-core L2 caches, 2MB shared L3 cache
- GPU: VideoCore VII GPU, 800 MHz, OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2, 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
- Memory: 4GB/8GB LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM
- Storage: MicroSD card
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet with PoE+ support
- USB ports: 2 × USB 3.0 ports, 2 × USB 2.0 ports
- Camera/Display: 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
- Expansion and Peripherals: PCIe 2.0 x1 interface, Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header
- Power: 27W USB-C Power Supply
Raspberry Pi 5 Price in Nepal and Availability
The Pi-Board will be available at a starting price of USD 60 for the base 4GB variant. We expect the Raspberry Pi 5 price in Nepal to be NPR 10,000 when it arrives here.
|Raspberry Pi 5||Price in the U.S. (Official)||Price in Nepal(Expected)|
|4GB||USD 60||NPR 10,000|
|8GB||USD 80||NPR 12,000|
- Meanwhile, check out our video of Motorola G84.