With cut-throat competition in the mid-range segment, no one will blame you if you have to think more than twice about all the available options. So, if you’re looking for the top smartphones under 40000 in Nepal on this festive season, you are at luck. Considering the latest price and offers from the various brands, here’s our list of top midrangers under 40000.
The Vivo V15 may not look so appealing because of its hefty form factor and that protruded camera bump on the back. Nonetheless, it’s one decent phone for the price.
The phone features a pop-style selfie camera. That means you won’t find obtrusive notches or punch-hole cutouts. And because of that, the display here looks truly immersive. But since the display on the device uses IPS panel, you won’t find the vibrant colors like that on the OLED panels.
As for the performance, Vivo has incorporated MediaTek Helio P70 chipset. On to the memory front, you get 6GB RAM and 128GB of onboard memory. With this hardware setup, the phone handles most of the tasks with ease. You can also play high-end games like PUBG. But the game runs smoothly only on the low settings. If you toggle the settings to high, you will start to notice a few stutters.
Also Read: Vivo V15 Full Review!
On to the optics part, the phone embraces a triple camera setup at its back. The camera module includes a 12MP main camera, an 8MP ultra-wide-angle lens, and a 5MP depth sensor. With multiple cameras, you get more options to take a shot. The cameras also capture some amazing images. The shots from the Vivo V15 is not quite comparable with the V15 Pro but they are good enough to be used in Social media.
As I already mentioned, the Vivo V15 is quite hefty when it comes to weight. And that’s because of the massive battery it has packed inside. Vivo V15 enjoys a beefy 4000mAh battery, due to which the phone lasts for more than a day on the normal use. And you also get an 18-watt dual-engine fast charger inside the box, which takes less than 2 hours to get the battery fully juiced up. However, the phone comes with a Micro USB port, which can be a deal-breaker for some. Also, Vivo’s FunTouch OS may not be everyone’s cup of tea.
Vivo V15 Specifications:
- Display: 6.53-inch Full-HD+ IPS LCD display
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio P70
- CPU:Octa-core (4×2.1 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3
- RAM: 6GB
- Storage: 128GB; Dedicated SD card slot for memory expansion up to 256GB
- OS: Android 9 (Pie) with FunTouch OS 9 on the top
- Rear Camera: Triple camera – 12MP primary with f/1.78 + 8MP ultra-wide-angle with f/2.2 aperture + 5MP depth sensor with f/2.4; LED flash
- Front Camera: 32 MP pop-up selfie camera
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4,000 mAh with dual engine fast charging technology
- Colors: Topaz Blue, Ruby Red
- Price: Rs. 41,990 (Available for Rs. 40,000)
4Oppo F11 Pro
Oppo F11 Pro shares quite a lot of similarities with the Vivo V15 but there are some things on the F11 Pro really better than the V15. That’s why it’s at a better position than the V15.
The phone comes with a plastic back. But Oppo has manufactured the rear panel so elegantly that it feels like a glass body. The triple-tone gradient color has also made the device really appealing. In addition, the camera bump on the back is small so the handset looks really sleek.
The phone also looks clean on the front. And to achieve that, Oppo has incorporated an elevating camera module to take selfies. And the 16MP pop-up front shooter captures amazing selfies preserving the facial details. On the rear camera, however, you just get two cameras: a 48MP main camera and a 5MP depth sensor. Due to the lack of an ultra-wide-angle lens, Oppo F11 Pro isn’t as versatile as the Vivo V15. Nonetheless, normal and portrait images come out better from the F11 Pro. But sometimes, the images lack dynamic range and some images look overprocessed.
Also Read: Oppo F11 Pro Full Review!
The phone features MediaTek Helio P70 chipset with 4GB of RAM alongside. As far as memory is concerned, the phone flaunts 128GB of onboard memory. And it can be expanded further using an SD card. Talking about the performance, day to day tasks run like a breeze. Even while playing the high-end games, the phone doesn’t sign with fatigue. Graphics-heavy games like PUBG can be played smoothly at low settings and with a few stutters at high settings.
As for the battery, there is a 4000mAh unit, which provides a promising battery life. On the normal use, you can push the battery life to around 1.5 days. All thanks to its bigger battery and software-level optimizations from Oppo. Even when it comes to charging, Oppo hasn’t disappointed us. The phone comes with 20-watt VOOC charger inside the box, which exactly 80 minutes to get your device fully charged.
Oppo F11 Pro Specifications
- Display: 6.53-inch LTPS IPS LCD Full HD+ display, 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- CPU: Octa-core MediaTek Helio P70
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3
- OS: Android 9 Pie with ColorOS 6 on top
- RAM: 6GB
- Storage: 128GB, Expandable up to 256GB via SD card
- Rear Camera: Dual: (48MP, f/1.8, 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF) + (5MP, f/2.4, 1/5”, 1.12µm), LED flash
- Front Camera: 16MP pop-up selfie camera, f/2.0
- Sensors: Fingerprint (Rear-mounted), Accelerometer, Gyro, Proximity, Compass
- Battery: 4,000 mAh with VOOC 3.0 Flash Charging technology; Micro USB charging port
- Price: Rs. 41,990 (Available for Rs. 40,000)
3Samsung Galaxy A50s
Samsung Galaxy A50 is Samsung’s best-selling phone of 2019. The phone had packed amazing specifications, because of which, the phone was well received in the market. And the new Galaxy A50s is the refreshed version of the Galaxy A50 with some few and notable updates.
Just like Galaxy A50, the A50s also comes with a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED display with a U-shaped notch on the top. The resolution is also the same at Full-HD+. So you will notice any difference between the A50 and A50s. However, the fingerprint scanner, which comes beneath the display is slightly faster on the A50s.
As for the cameras, you get three snappers at the back: a wide-angle, an ultra-wide-angle, and a depth sensor. But unlike the A50, which had a 25MP main camera, Samsung has included a 48MP primary shooter on the A50. So the images from the galaxy A50s looks sharper. The images from the A50s also have richer color tones and better dynamic range. Wide-angle images look more or less the same. But there have been some improvements when it comes to portrait. Edge detection has got better and the images do not look overprocessed.
Even when it comes to selfies, the A50s does a better job. It tries to replicate true color tones in the images and the face doesn’t look smoothened like that on the A50.
Also Read: Samsung Galaxy A50 Full Review!
On the performance front, there has been a slight upgrade. Although Samsung didn’t hesitate to make any improvements on the CPU and GPU front on the new Exynos 9611, there surely have been improvements on the optics front. Exynos 9610 used to support image processing up to 24MP (single) or 16MP + 16MP (double). But the Exynos 9611 can do image processing up to 64MP (single) or 16MP + 16MP (double). Samsung has also included an improved AI capability, which further improves the photography qualities.
Despite having noteworthy improvements on the CPU and GPU part, A50s can run high-end games like PUBG at high settings. So there is nothing to worry on that part. Plus the phone has an enduring battery life with a 15-watt fast charging.
Samsung Galaxy A50s Specifications:
- Display: 6.4-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ Infinity-U Super AMOLED display
- Chipset: Exynos 9611
- CPU: Octa-Core (Quad 2.3GHz + Quad 1.7GHz)
- GPU: Mali-G72 MP3 GPU
- RAM & Storage: 6GB RAM with
- Memory: 128GB internal storage, expandable up to 512GB via micro SD card
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie) with One UI
- Back Camera: 48MP rear camera with LED flash, f/2.0 aperture, 5MP depth sensor with f/2.2 aperture, 8MP ultra-wide-angle camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Front Camera: 32MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4000mAh battery with 15W fast charging
- Price: Rs. 42,190
2Samsung Galaxy A70
Samsung Galaxy A70 is the midranger targeted especially at the multimedia consumers. To please the multimedia enthusiasts, Samsung has incorporated a tall 6.7-inch Super AMOLED display. With a big display and just a tiny notch on the top, the contents look immersive here. And due to the Super AMOLED display, the colors, contrast, and saturation look absolutely impressive.
And to please the power users, Samsung has included a massive 4500mAh battery. The phone lasts for 1.5 days on normal use and the screen on time extends to around 10 hours. To refill the big battery, you also get a 25-watt charger inside, which refills the device the battery in less than 1.5 hours.
Also Read: Samsung Galaxy A70 Full Review!
Even on the performance front, the A70 is no slouch. Under the hood is Snapdragon 675 chipset, which is a decent performer for the price. You can play all the graphics-heavy games at high-setting. And the 6GB RAM helps you multitask between a number of apps. As for the memory, there is 128GB of onboard memory, which should be enough for the most.
When it comes to optics, the phone packs a triple camera setup at the back. And be a normal, wide-angle or a portrait image, images look quite amazing. Colors and saturation look decent. But sometimes, images lack sufficient details, which can be worrisome for some. However, that can be solved using GCam.
Samsung Galaxy A70 Specifications
- Display: 6.7-inch Super AMOLED display, FHD+ resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio
- Processor: Snapdragon 675
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6×1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 612
- RAM: 6 GB DDR4
- Storage: 128 GB internal, expandable via microSD card slot up to 512GB
- Rear Camera: Triple cameras – 32 MP primary camera, f/1.7 + 5 MP depth sensor, f/2.2 + 8 MP wide-angle lens, LED flash
- Front Camera: 32 MP, f/2.0
- OS: Android v9.0 Pie
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4,500mAh with 25W Fast Charging (included inside the box)
- Price: Rs. 42,890 (Available for Rs. 40,000)
1Xiaomi Redmi K20
Despite being a mid-range device, the Redmi K20 flaunts a flagship-level design. You get a glass-metal sandwiched design, which already sounds premium as most of the midrange phones at this price comes with a plastic back. It also feels premium on the hands. On the top, you get Gorilla Glass 5 protection. So the phone can survive a few accidental drops.
The phone is powered by Snapdragon 730 chipset, which is one of the fastest midrange chipsets in Qualcomm’s lineup. Aided with a 4GB RAM, you can not just play graphics-enriched games at high setting but can also multitask between a number of apps pretty smoothly.
As far as the cameras are concerned, there is a cluster of three cameras on the back. The primary camera uses a 48MP Sony IMX 582 sensor. Additionally, there is a 13MP ultra-wide-angle lens and an 8MP telephoto lens. The inclusion of a telephoto lens has made the K20 versatile than its competitors.
Talking about the image quality, the images from the primary cameras looks sharp with a sufficient amount of details. However, they tend to look oversaturated at times. The telephoto shooter is also an amazing performer when it comes to details but sometimes images contain quite a lot of noise. Ultra-wide-angle images are impressive though.
As for the selfies, you get a 20MP pop-up front shooter captures amazing selfies. But the motorized modules is rather slower than the competitors. It also retracts slowly. So if the smartphone falls while taking selfies, there are high chances that you will damage the motorized module.
Fueling the phone is a 4000mAh battery with 18-watt fast charging support. On the normal use, it easily lasts one full day.
Xiaomi Redmi K20 Specifications:
- Display: 6.39-inch Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Resolution: Full-HD+ (2340×1080 pixels), 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 730
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Kryo 470 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 470 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 128GB; No SD Card slot for memory expansion
- OS & UI: Android Pie (v9.0) with MIUI 10 on the top
- Rear Camera: (48 MP f/1.8, wide-angle camera) + (8MP, f/2.4, telephoto camera, 2x optical zoom) + (13MP, f/2.4, ultra-wide-angle camera), Dual-LED flash
- Front Camera: 20MP motorized pop-up selfie camera, f/2.2
- Battery: 4000mAh battery with 18-watt fast charging support
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n, WiFi Direct, Hotspot, Bluetooth 5.0, 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C, USB OTG support
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under-display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Price (4/128GB): Rs. 39,999